The chat.io and BotEngine integration is here! You can use it to create your own bot that will help you with:
- providing 24/7 support,
- supporting your customers after working hours,
- helping your customers even when you don’t have a support team,
- solving simple cases without involving real agents.
You can check how we’re using it. Ask our bot about pricing or chat widget customization: start the chat here.
Follow these steps to create your own chatbot in chat.io.
First off, go to applications section in chat.io and install BotEngine application.
Next, sign in to BotEngine. If you already have a BotEngine account sign in with your email. If you don’t, the fastest way to sign in is by using a chat.io account.
The app is installed in chat.io but the bot won’t chat yet.
You need to create a scenario a bot will follow in conversations with your customers that is called a story. Click on
Go to BotEngine button to proceed.
If you already have created a story in BotEngine, skip to this point.
If this is your first visit in BotEngine - you’ll see the tutorial. Use it to get to know a product or go to the next step and create your story.
After creating and saving your story let’s connect it with the bot and make it work. Go back to the chat.io integration in BotEngine and click on your bot to edit it.
First, choose the story you just created. Secondly, choose routing priority for the bot from the following options:
- all chats will go to the bot first no matter what’s the status of other agents,
- bot will act as regular agent and it will get chats randomly if routing will be set to automatic,
- bot will get chats when there’s no one who can take them (all agents are offline or they’re not accepting chats).
After saving your changes your bot will start working in chat.io.
You can always preview a bot’s conversation in
Assigned to others section in Chats and in Archives.
Using the integration
All ongoing bot conversations will appear in the
Assigned to others section
You can always join a chat with a customer and a bot. However, the bot will remain active until you send a public reply. Private notes will remain invisible to a customer and will not mute the bot. You can also mute the bot manually by switching the toggle in the upper-right corner off.
Want to activate the bot again? Just leave the chat or unmute the bot by clicking on the switch.
You can read all chats with bot in archives. Search for conversation with bot’s name label or narrow the list using
Few rules the integration lives by:
- Bot status is always
accepting chats. If you want to change the way the bot works, go to the Users section in chat.io and select the one you want to edit. Remember you can edit only bots that you’ve added.
- A returning customer will be assigned to an agent that is accepting chats and previously have talked with that customer, not to the bot.
- There’s no option to transfer a chat from a bot to an agent automatically. You can always step in, join the bot’s chat and continue the conversation with the customer.
- Adding a bot in chat.io will not increase your monthly subscription.
- Integration with BotEngine supports rich messages. You can use single cards and quick replies as messages that will be shown to customers. Here’s an example:
Happy chatting!comments powered by Disqus